Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wedding Wednesday, the Quotes

I have been thinking a lot lately about the details. There are so many that it's hard to avoid them! In thinking about the actual ceremony and readings and vows I have come across so many interesting and creative ideas. Some of which, I hope that we will be able to incorporate. Ofcourse, that said, when you marry in a house of God, you do loose a bit of freedom of expression with regards to not only words but to music. I would love to write our own vows, an idea that D isn't particularly keen on. I know that not many males are all that interested in standing in front of 300 of their family members and closest friends and getting all mushy gushy so I plan to let that slide.

Here is a small compilation of quotes, vows and ideas that will hopefully make their way into our wedding.

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hoped to give you forever."
-Noah Calhoun, The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

"Together with you, I want to live a life full of the kind of love and the kind of laughter that makes strangers stop and stare. I will take care of you and give you piece of mind and piece of heart."
-Miss Apple Cider of Weddingbee (as featured on SWMag)
What an amazing vow to make to someone!

"From this day on, I choose you to be my {husband/wife}...
To live you and laugh with you
to stand by your side and sleep in your arms.
To be the joy to your heart and the food to your soul.
To bring out the best in you always.
And for you, to be the most that I can."
-No idea where I found this, it's been in my planning book for over a year and is a very close second pick. Maybe I can combine them?

I also love the idea of the hand ceremony where as you hold your soon to be spouses hands, and the officiant describes how you hands will change over the years that you are commiting to be together. It is told how they will change mirroring the journey your relationship is about to embarq upon.

And as far as poems, I could go on forever. A few favorites come immeadiately to mind,"To Love is Not to Possess" by James Kavanaugh, "To Say Before Going to Sleep" by Rainer Maria Rilke, "Love" by Roy Croft. But anyways. I also think that it would be really special to allow each of our readers to select their own readings to share with us. I think that would really personalize the ceremony and bring in different perspectives.

The final thought for this Wedding Wednesday is the box tradition. The only thing that super conservative and traditional, D and I agree on. Before the wedding, we will both sit down and write letters to one another about what and why we love one another and are choosing to be married. We will seal them in envelopes and nail them into a crate with a bottle (or two) of wine and two glasses. We agree that if our marriage ever faces adversity, before we make any decisions, we will read the letters and drink the wine together and try to remember why we are there. Hopefully, we will never need the box, but it's never too early for a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment