Friday, November 20, 2009

Thoughts on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays. I think it's because it hasn't evolved into a material oriented "giftcard holiday." This year I am embarqing on a new adventure. D and I will be hosting Thanksgiving for our immediate families and maybe some friends. I am so excited yet also so nervous. One of my best and worst traits is trying to please everyone, therefore I have run the menu by both families and have made adjustments accordingly. Now I can just pray not to screw up the turkey.

Last night I made my first foray into pie baking {just call me domestic goddess}. Not only was it my first attempt at pie baking, I also baked two different types, pecan and pumpkin. I haven't tasted either pie yet, but they look pretty darn good. They will be making their debut at the ECU tailgate this weekend, I figure slightly intoxicated folks will make great guinea pigs for my cooking. I also finally figured out how to use my standing mixer most effectively {v. big step}. Here is the proposed menu,
Snacks
Spinach Dip {al la Fresh Market}

Veggie Tray

Jelly Meatball

Soft Cheeses and Crackers

Dinner

Turkey {both smoked and baked}

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream

Stuffing with Spicy Sausage, Celery, Onions and Green Peppers

Momma's Awesome Sweet Potatoes

Momma's Amazing Spinach and Cheese

Homemade Apple Sauce

Cranberry in a Can {a holiday must have}

D's Mom's Salad

Soft Rolls

Dessert

Pecan Pie

Pumpkin Pie

Some sort of Deliciousness from the Fresh Market


{Fabulous Squirrels, via Pottery Barn}
{I'd also like these, via Pottery Barn}

{Pottery Barn Tablescape}

No comments:

Post a Comment